Mullican Hardwood Flooring is a popular choice for homeowners looking to enhance the aesthetics and value of their homes. With its durability, natural beauty, and easy maintenance, Mullican floors have gained a reputation for exceptional quality. This informative guide will walk you through the steps to choose, install, and care for Mullican hardwood flooring.
1. Choosing the Perfect Mullican Hardwood Flooring:
Before selecting your Mullican hardwood flooring, it is essential to consider a few factors to ensure you make the right choice for your home. Here are some tips to help you choose the perfect Mullican flooring:
- Wood Species: Mullican offers a wide range of wood species, including oak, hickory, maple, walnut, and many more. Each wood species has its own characteristics, including color, grain patterns, and hardness. Consider your preferences, the style of your home, and the level of foot traffic when choosing a wood species.
- Finish: Mullican offers various finishes, such as smooth, hand-sculpted, and wire-brushed. Smooth finishes are suitable for a contemporary look, while hand-sculpted and wire-brushed finishes add texture and a rustic appeal.
- Color: Mullican floors come in a wide range of colors, from light to dark. Consider the existing color scheme of your home and the atmosphere you wish to create when selecting a color.
- Plank Width: Mullican offers different plank widths, ranging from narrow strips to wider planks. The width of the planks can dramatically impact the overall look of the room. Wider planks can create a more spacious and modern aesthetic.
2. Installing Mullican Hardwood Flooring:
Installing Mullican hardwood flooring requires careful planning and attention to detail. While it is recommended to hire a professional for a flawless installation, you can try installing it yourself if you have some DIY experience. Here are the general steps:
- Prepare the Subfloor: Ensure the subfloor is clean, dry, and level. Remove any existing flooring materials, such as carpet or tile, and address any issues like unevenness or moisture problems.
- Acclimate the Flooring: Mullican recommends acclimating the hardwood flooring in the room where it will be installed for at least 72 hours. This helps the wood adjust to the temperature and humidity levels of the environment.
- Install Underlayment: Install an underlayment to provide a moisture barrier and slight cushioning. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for a proper installation.
- Lay the Flooring: Start laying the Mullican hardwood flooring against the longest wall in the room. Leave a 1/2-inch gap between the flooring and the walls to allow for expansion. Use a nailer or adhesive as recommended by Mullican for a secure installation.
- Finishing Touches: Once the flooring is installed, add baseboards or quarter-round moldings to cover the gaps between the flooring and walls. Additionally, clean the floor thoroughly to remove any installation debris.
3. Maintaining Mullican Hardwood Flooring:
To keep your Mullican hardwood floors looking beautiful for years to come, proper maintenance is essential. Follow these guidelines for maintaining your Mullican hardwood flooring:
- Regular Cleaning: Sweep or vacuum the floor regularly to remove dirt and debris that can scratch the surface. Avoid using wet mops, as excessive moisture can damage the wood. Instead, clean the floor with a slightly dampened mop or cloth.
- Protective Measures: Use protective pads under furniture legs to prevent scratches. Place mats or rugs in high-traffic areas and near entrances to trap dirt and prevent it from scratching the floor.
- Avoid Excessive Sun Exposure: Direct sunlight can fade the color of your Mullican floors over time. Consider using window coverings or applying UV-protective films on windows to minimize sun exposure.
- Refinishing when Needed: Depending on foot traffic and wear, Mullican hardwood floors may require refinishing every 5-10 years. Consult a professional to evaluate the condition of your floors and determine when refinishing is necessary.
By following these steps, you can select, install, and maintain your Mullican hardwood flooring effectively. Remember, Mullican floors are an investment that can elevate the beauty and value of your home.