Armstrong Alterna is a high-quality flooring option that offers durability, style, and easy installation. If you are planning to install Armstrong Alterna in your home, this step-by-step guide will help you through the installation process.
Step 1: Prepare the Surface
Before installing Armstrong Alterna, it is important to prepare the surface properly. Start by clearing the area of any furniture or appliances. Ensure the subfloor is clean, level, and free from any debris or unevenness. Fill any cracks or holes with a suitable floor filler, and allow it to dry completely. If necessary, use a self-leveling compound to make the surface perfectly even. Remember to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the filler or compound.
Step 2: Acclimate the Tiles
Armstrong Alterna tiles need to be acclimated before installation to avoid any issues with expansion or contraction. Open all the boxes of tiles and place them in the room where they will be installed. Make sure to leave them in the room for at least 48 hours, allowing them to adjust to the temperature and humidity of the space. This step is crucial for a successful installation and to prevent any potential problems with the flooring down the line.
Step 3: Start the Installation
Once the surface is prepared and the tiles are acclimated, you can begin the installation process.
– Begin in the center of the room: Measure the length and width of the room, and find the center point. Mark the center with a chalk line or a straight edge. Starting from the center will ensure a balanced and symmetrical installation.
– Spread the adhesive: Use a trowel to apply the recommended adhesive over a small area, enough for a few tiles at a time. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the specific adhesive you are using.
– Lay the tiles: Start laying the Armstrong Alterna tiles along the center line, pressing them firmly in place. Leave a small gap, around 1/8 inch, between each tile to allow for natural expansion. Continuously check that the tiles are level and straight as you work. If needed, use a rubber mallet to gently tap the tiles into place.
– Continue the installation: Work your way out from the center, adding adhesive and laying the tiles row by row. Make sure each tile is securely bonded to the adhesive and properly aligned with the surrounding tiles.
– Cut the tiles: Measure and mark the tiles that need to be cut to fit along the edges of the room or around obstacles. Use a tile cutter or a utility knife to make precise cuts. Remember to wear appropriate safety gear when cutting tiles.
– Complete the installation: Continue installing the tiles until the entire floor is covered. Allow the adhesive to dry as per the manufacturer’s instructions before walking on the newly installed Alterna floor.
Step 4: Maintenance and Care
To maintain the beauty and longevity of your Armstrong Alterna flooring, follow these maintenance tips:
– Regular cleaning: Sweep or vacuum the floor regularly to remove dust and dirt. Use a damp mop with a mild floor cleaner specifically recommended for Alterna to clean any spills or stains. Avoid using harsh cleaners or abrasive tools that can damage the tiles.
– Protect the floor: Use furniture pads or protective mats to prevent scratches or dents caused by furniture legs. Place doormats at entrances to minimize the amount of dirt and sand brought onto the floor.
– Avoid moisture: While Armstrong Alterna is water-resistant, excessive moisture can still cause damage. Wipe up spills immediately, and use mats in high-moisture areas like bathrooms or kitchens.
Following these steps will ensure a successful installation of Armstrong Alterna, providing you with a beautiful, durable, and low-maintenance flooring option for your home.