A rock shower floor can bring a beautiful and natural element to your bathroom. Whether you want to transform your existing shower or are looking to build a new one from scratch, creating a rock shower floor is a relatively simple and rewarding DIY project. In this step-by-step guide, we will walk you through the process of creating your own rock shower floor.
Step 1: Gather Materials
The first step is to gather all the necessary materials. You will need the following:
- – River rocks or pebbles
- – Mortar mix
- – Cement backer board or waterproof membrane
- – Waterproof sealant
- – Notched trowel
- – Rubber float
- – Grout
- – Sponge
- – Bucket
Step 2: Prepare the Shower Base
Before installing the rock floor, it is essential to ensure that your shower base is solid and properly waterproofed. If you are building a new shower, install a cement backer board or a waterproof membrane on the shower floor and walls.
If you have an existing shower, thoroughly clean the floor and walls, removing any dirt and soap scum. Apply a waterproof sealant to protect the underlying structure from moisture damage.
Step 3: Install the Rock Floor
Now it’s time to install the rock shower floor:
- – Mix the mortar according to the manufacturer’s instructions in a bucket. The consistency should be similar to that of peanut butter.
- – Using a notched trowel, spread a thin layer of mortar on the shower base, starting at the drain and working your way towards the walls. Make sure the layer is even and smooth.
- – Place the river rocks or pebbles onto the mortar bed, pressing them firmly into place. Start from the outer edges and work towards the drain, ensuring there are no gaps between the rocks.
- – Let the mortar dry completely. This usually takes around 24 hours, but refer to the manufacturer’s instructions for specific drying times.
Step 4: Grout the Rock Floor
After the mortar has fully dried, it’s time to grout the rock shower floor:
- – Mix the grout according to the manufacturer’s instructions in a bucket.
- – Using a rubber float, spread the grout over the rock floor, making sure to fill all the gaps. Work in small sections to prevent the grout from drying too quickly.
- – Once all the gaps are filled, use a sponge to wipe away any excess grout from the rock surface.
- – Allow the grout to dry for the recommended time specified by the manufacturer.
Congratulations! You have successfully created a rock shower floor. Allow the grout to cure fully, then clean the surface gently to reveal the beautiful and natural look of your rock floor. Remember to regularly maintain and reseal your rock shower floor to keep it looking its best.
Creating a rock shower floor can elevate the aesthetic appeal of your bathroom while providing a unique and organic feel. By following these step-by-step instructions and taking the necessary precautions, you can create a stunning rock shower floor that will bring a touch of nature into your daily routine.