Luxury Vinyl Tile (LVT) flooring has gained immense popularity in recent years as a durable and affordable flooring option. Lowes offers a wide range of LVT flooring options that cater to different styles, budgets, and installation preferences. In this guide, we will walk you through the process of choosing and installing Lowes LVT flooring, ensuring a successful home improvement project.
1. Choosing the Right LVT Flooring
Before you begin your floor renovation, it’s important to select the right type of LVT flooring that suits your needs and preferences. Lowes provides various options, so consider the following factors to make an informed decision:
- Style and Design: Lowes offers a wide range of LVT flooring styles, including wood looks, stone looks, and various patterns. Consider the overall aesthetic of your space and choose a design that complements it.
- Thickness: LVT flooring comes in different thicknesses, typically ranging from 2mm to 8mm. Thicker options offer enhanced durability and noise reduction properties, but they are also slightly pricier.
- Wear Layer: The wear layer determines the durability of your LVT flooring. It protects against scratches, stains, and other daily wear and tear. Higher wear layer options are recommended for high-traffic areas or households with pets and children.
- Installation Method: Lowes LVT flooring offers both click-and-lock and glue-down installation methods. Click-and-lock options are relatively easier and quicker to install, while glue-down options provide better stability and longevity.
- Budget: Determine your budget and explore Lowes’ LVT flooring options within your price range. Remember to consider factors like installation costs, underlayment requirements, and any additional tools or materials needed.
2. Preparing for Installation
Once you’ve selected the perfect Lowes LVT flooring, it’s time to prepare for installation.
- Acclimate the Flooring: Remove the packaging and allow your LVT flooring to acclimate to the room’s temperature and humidity for at least 48 hours, or as per the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Prepare the Subfloor: Ensure the subfloor is clean, smooth, dry, and free from any debris. Repair any cracks or uneven areas to create a sturdy base for your new flooring.
- Underlayment: Some LVT flooring options may require an underlayment for additional cushioning, moisture resistance, or soundproofing. Check the manufacturer’s guidelines to determine if an underlayment is necessary.
- Gather Tools and Materials: Before installation, make sure you have all the necessary tools and materials readily available. Typical requirements may include a utility knife, measuring tape, adhesive (if opting for glue-down installation), and a rubber mallet.
3. Installation Process
With the necessary preparations complete, you are ready to install your Lowes LVT flooring.
- Follow Manufacturer’s Instructions: Carefully read and follow the installation guidelines provided by the manufacturer. Different LVT flooring options may have specific requirements regarding installation techniques, adhesive application, and seam alignment.
- Start with a Straight Line: Establish a straight starting line using a chalk line or a laser level. This will ensure a uniform installation and prevent crooked or uneven placement of your LVT flooring.
- Cutting and Fitting: Measure and mark your planks accordingly, using a utility knife or a specialized LVT cutter. Ensure you leave a small gap around the edges to allow for expansion.
- Click-and-Lock Installation: If you have chosen click-and-lock LVT flooring, simply interlock the planks together according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Use a rubber mallet to gently tap them in place for a secure fit.
- Glue-Down Installation: For glue-down installation, apply the recommended adhesive to the subfloor evenly. Press the LVT planks firmly into the adhesive, taking care not to trap any air bubbles or excess glue.
- Finishing Touches: Trim and install baseboards or molding around the edges of the room to provide a clean and polished appearance. Remove any adhesive residue with a suitable cleaner.
In conclusion, with Lowes LVT flooring, you have an affordable and visually appealing flooring solution that can transform any room. By choosing the right style, thickness, wear layer, and installation method, preparing your subfloor diligently, and following the manufacturer’s instructions during installation, you can successfully upgrade your space with beautiful and durable Lowes LVT flooring.